Non-Surgical Treatments for Herniated Discs
Many people enjoy the amazing lifestyle that the Pompano Beach area has to offer. However, few things can put a damper on enjoying your life in this beautiful part of the country more quickly than an automobile or motorcycle accident.
Being the victim of such an unfortunate circumstance can leave you with lingering injuries…especially neck and spine problems. From whiplash and chronic headaches to herniated discs, here at Impact Medical in Pompano Beach, we see it all. The good news is that our multidisciplinary approach to treatment can help you recover from a majority of these types of injuries.
Today, our team would like to take some time to share with you about successful non-surgical treatments for those who have suffered disc herniation from their accident trauma. This condition can be incredibly painful, but it is treatable. Here is how.
First, it is important to implement the following short-term treatments to help with more acute pain that herniated discs can cause. These steps include utilizing the following:
- Heat or Ice – Ice can help reduce swelling in the area of herniation, and heat can improve muscle relaxation in the surrounding area. They work well used in tandem and can provide much-needed relief.
- Steroids – Steroids are a powerful tool in reducing inflammation to traumatized areas of the body. While not a long-term solution, short-term usage of oral steroids can be effective in reducing discomfort from this medical issue.
- Pain Medication – NSAID pain medication, such as naproxen or ibuprofen may be prescribed to help reduce inflammation and pain after a disc herniation.
- Muscle Relaxants – When the body is jolted from the force of an automobile or motorcycle accident, it is not just the spinal discs that can herniate. There can also be trauma to the surrounding muscle tissue, which can cause major pain. Muscle relaxants such as Flexeril can reduce the injury-related muscle spasms that can come with disc herniation.
The second type of treatment for herniated discs involves more long-term measures such as:
- Physical Therapy – PT can help to strengthen weak areas of the back that may be contributing to the pain from disc herniation. An excellent physical therapist, like the ones that we employ at Impact Medical in Pompano Beach, can teach you exercises to get those back muscles back in shape, as well as help you learn better ways to perform daily activities and tasks to reduce discomfort.
- Chiropractic Care – Herniated discs from an accident are the result of the extreme impact and trauma to the spine. Ensuring that the spine is in proper alignment can help to greatly reduce the negative impact of this injury.
- Massage Therapy – As we mentioned earlier, it is not just the actual spinal discs that are traumatized by an accident. It is also the surrounding muscle tissue. A skilled medical massage therapist can work on problem areas to release tension and improve blood flow and healing to the entire area.
Herniated discs are not fun at all, and we understand how they can impede you from enjoying your life. The highly skilled staff at Impact Medical in Pompano Beach is ready to and waiting to holistically treat your herniated discs and any other issues you may be experiencing after an accident. Don’t suffer another day…call us now.