Chiropractic Care and Scoliosis
Scoliosis is a condition that you have likely heard about before, but are you aware of the pain and health dangers that it can cause? Some people are born with scoliosis, and some get it as they age. Many scoliosis patients have a spinal curvature that is not severe enough to warrant surgery, yet is extremely painful to live with due to how it affects their body’s anatomy. This is where chiropractic care can be greatly beneficial.
Our chiropractic team at Impact Med Zephyrhills discusses how chiropractic care can benefit those who are suffering from scoliosis so they can live better, more mobile lives.
What is Scoliosis?
Scoliosis is defined as a curvature of the spine and is most often diagnosed in adolescent-aged patients. The cause of childhood scoliosis is unknown, but scoliosis can occur in people with conditions like cerebral palsy and muscular dystrophy.
Most scoliosis cases are mild, but the curvature of the spine can worsen over time and severe cases can be especially disabling, as it can reduce the amount of space within the chest, making it difficult to breathe properly.
If left untreated, scoliosis can have an impact on the entire body, including the digestive, muscular, skeletal, neurological, and hormonal systems.
4 Types of Scoliosis
- Congenital: Present at birth and is caused by an abnormality in the bones.
- Degenerative: This results from a traumatic injury, osteoporosis, bone deformation, or even major spinal surgery.
- Idiopathic: This is the most common form of scoliosis and there is no known cause for it, though it is known to run in families.
- Neuromuscular: The result of abnormal nerve or muscle formation. This type is frequently seen in patients with spina bifida or cerebral palsy.
Scoliosis: How Can Chiropractors Help?
It is estimated that up to seven million Americans suffer from scoliosis, and many suffer from additional health problems due to this condition.
Chiropractors have a detailed knowledge of musculoskeletal issues and conditions and can help identify scoliosis during a physical examination.
Symptoms that may indicate scoliosis include:
- Clothes that seem to hang unevenly
- One shoulder blade that is higher/ protruding shoulder blade
- Uneven hips
- Difficulty breathing due to the reduced area in the chest for lungs to expand
- Chronic back pain
- Muscle spasms
- Unequal gaps between arms and waist
- Rotating spine
- Abnormal posture
- Uneven legs
Chiropractors can realign the spine, increase the range of motion throughout the spine, and remove pressure from the nervous system, all with simple chiropractic adjustments. Your chiropractor may also prescribe postural exercises alongside regular chiropractic adjustments to help strengthen and stabilize the muscles and joints that support your spine.
A chiropractor can recommend:
- Ways that a patient can move and rest to minimize or relieve pain
- Exercises to strengthen supporting joints
- Ideas to stay active without exacerbating symptoms
- Exercises and procedures to enhance the patient’s ability to take deeper breaths
Further, chiropractic care can reduce discomfort, prevent further spinal degradation, and improve the function of the affected joints and the entire body.
Chiropractic treatments can include:
- Spinal manipulation (scoliosis specific)
- Exercise therapy
- Massage (scoliosis specific)
- Stretching (scoliosis specific)
- Corrective bracing
- Sensorimotor training
Chiropractic Care for Scoliosis
If you are suffering from back pain, a decrease in mobility, or any other symptoms due to scoliosis, and want a non-invasive solution, come visit our chiropractic team at Impact Med Zephyrhills! We can perform chiropractic adjustments to help alleviate the pain that you are feeling and remove pressure from your nervous system.
Get non-invasive treatment for your scoliosis. Call Impact Med Zephyrhills today—813-737-7965!