When to Use Manual Therapy vs. Acupuncture for Accident Injuries
Injured in a car accident? While some injuries require surgical intervention, other non-invasive treatments like manual therapy or acupuncture can be effective at treating car accident injuries and supporting quicker recoveries. When you seek medical attention after an accident, your provider may recommend manual therapy or acupuncture to support your healing. Here’s a brief guide to these two effective treatments and when to use them.
When to Use Manual Therapy
Manual therapy aids in the healing process by working superficial and deeper layers of muscle tissue. Using various techniques, a manual therapist enhances function and promotes relaxation.
Manual therapy can help the recovery process after a car accident. Depending on the extent of your injuries and your treatment plan, your doctor may recommend several types of manual like Swedish manual, trigger point manual, deep muscle therapy manual, etc. Manual therapy is ideal for treating the following conditions following an accident:
- Soft Tissue Injuries. Most post-accident manual focuses on the muscle and the facia. By increasing circulation, manual can heal soft tissue injuries like whiplash, knee injuries, and more.
- Soreness or Generalized Pain. Many people develop soreness in the days following an accident—the sudden force of the incident can even make your whole-body ache. By providing pain relief, improving circulation, and reducing inflammation, manual can resolve both specific and generalized pain.
When to Use Acupuncture
Acupuncture is a traditional Chinese medicinal technique that involves inserting hair-thin needles in specific pain points on the body. The tiny needles facilitate healing by eliciting a neurological and/or hormonal response in target areas. Acupuncture has been used to treat a wide range of internal medical conditions, from infertility to menstrual regulation. Today, it’s commonly used to relieve pain after an injury, including a car accident injury.
If you’re suffering from a car accident injury, acupuncture is an ideal treatment for:
- Inflammation-Related Injuries. Acupuncture reduces recovery times after an accident by treating sprains, strains, tears, and other trauma that involves inflammation. It can be a great technique for quick pain relief following an injury—or post-surgery.
- Whiplash is a common car accident injury, caused by rapid movement of the neck due to the force of impact. Acupuncture can be a vital part of a whiplash treatment plan, and it’s been successful at relieving neck pain, headaches, and other issues caused by whiplash.
- Stress and Anxiety. Many car accident victims feel stress and anxiety for weeks or months following the incident—especially if they’ve been seriously injured. Acupuncture provides helpful stress relief that can aid in your emotional recovery after an accident.
Always Seek Medical Attention After a Car Accident
If you’ve been in a car accident, the best thing you can do is seek medical attention as quickly as possible. The many injuries you can experience may not be obvious right away, so always seek advice from the medical team at Impact Medical Group of St. Petersburg as a precautionary measure. Call us today at (727) 722-8103 to schedule your free consultation.