Should I Get Physical Therapy Before a Knee Replacement?
Many people undergoing knee surgery may be under the assumption that 100% of the actions you take for the recovery process are done after the procedure. However, there are a number of things you can do long before you even go into the operation room. The professionals at Impact Medical Sarasota are here to tell you how physical therapy before a knee replacement can boost your recovery rate after surgery.
What you do before your knee replacement is just as important as the steps you take after the fact. When you visit a physical therapist before surgery, you can expect them to:
- Show you knee exercises. Building muscle strength and increasing mobility in the knee joint is crucial to a speedier recovery.
- Teach you how to walk with equipment. For the first few weeks after surgery, you may need to walk with the assistance of a walker or crutches. Your physical therapist will teach you how to properly use these tools to avoid injury.
- Explain precautionary home adaptations. Your physical therapist will teach you all of the tips and tricks to help you move around the home with less hassle.
While postoperative physical therapy is still extremely effective in the recovery process, you can experience many more benefits by visiting your physical therapist before your knee replacement such as:
- A more likely chance of a faster recovery time
- Better blood circulation in the legs
- A lower chance of forming blood clots
- Stronger muscles around the knee joint
- Less intense muscle soreness and fatigue
Patients who attend physical therapy before their knee surgery have shown a significant reduction in requiring additional care afterward. It’s such a simple act that will be of great help to you in the long run, so it’s worth a shot! Both pre-physical and post-physical therapy plans are personally designed for you and your body for the best results as long as you know where to go.
Post-Surgery (What to Expect)
The point of physical therapy before your knee replacement is to build enough muscle so that the loss of strength afterwards isn’t as debilitating. As long as you’re proactive in attending your sessions, you’re guaranteed to see a quicker recovery rate. There are certain tasks you can do after surgery to further boost your results.
After your knee replacement, your physical therapist may teach you bedside exercises to help you regain the strength in your muscles in a way that won’t put too much stress on your joints. Propping yourself up to get out of a chair or your bed can be harmful if done incorrectly, and so your physical therapist may also show you the most ideal way to maneuver without hurting yourself. In the end, the goal of physical therapy is to:
- Regularly practice effective exercises
- Decrease the swelling in your muscles and joints
- Limit the amount of pain in the affected area
- Regain the ability to walk as you did before the surgery
The Best Physical Therapist in Sarasota
Are you in need of a knee replacement? Be sure to visit the professionals at Impact Medical Sarasota long before your surgery date for guaranteed better results. We’ll do everything in our power to make sure your journey to recovery is a fast and smooth one! Call us today at (941) 222-1157 to schedule an appointment.