Most Common External & Internal Injuries From Motorcycle Accidents
Riding a motorcycle can be one of the most thrilling experiences of your life. The wind in your hair, the feel of the road beneath you, and the sense of freedom can make it an almost addictive activity. But with this adrenaline-fueled experience comes a certain level of risk. Motorcycle accidents are all too common, and the injuries that can result can be life-altering. Read on to learn about some of the most common external and internal injuries that can happen from motorcycle accidents.
Common External Injuries From Motorcycle Accidents
External injuries from motorcycle accidents can range from mild to severe, and it’s important to take every precaution to avoid them. Wearing protective gear like helmets, jackets, and gloves can help reduce the risk of injury. Some of the most common external injuries from motorcycle accidents include:
- Road Rash: This is perhaps one of the most common injuries that result from a motorcycle accident. Road rash happens when the skin is scraped or torn off by the rough surface of the road. Depending on the severity of the road rash, it can cause pain, scarring, and even nerve damage.
- Fractures: Another common injury from motorcycle accidents is fractures or broken bones. This can happen when a rider is thrown from their bike and lands on a hard surface like concrete. Fractures can take a long time to heal, and in some cases, can cause long-term disabilities.
- Head Injuries: Head injuries are the most serious and potentially life-threatening external injuries that can occur when riding a motorcycle. Wearing a helmet can help prevent or minimize head injuries, but even with a helmet on, there’s still a risk of a concussion, skull fracture, or other traumatic brain injuries.
Common Internal Injuries From Motorcycle Accidents
One of the most common outcomes of a motorcycle accident is internal injury. Due to the lack of protection that a motorcycle provides, riders are left vulnerable to injury from impact. Internal injuries are particularly dangerous because they are often not immediately apparent and can worsen if left untreated. Here are some of the typical internal injuries caused by motorcycle accidents:
- Internal Bleeding: During a motorcycle accident, the body can be subjected to extreme forces that can cause internal bleeding. This type of injury can be life-threatening if not treated promptly. Symptoms of internal bleeding can include abdominal pain, dizziness, and fatigue.
- Organ Damage: A major impact during a motorcycle accident can cause severe damage to the internal organs. This type of injury can be difficult to diagnose without immediate medical attention and can lead to long-term complications if left untreated.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Spinal cord injuries can result from a severe blow to the neck or back. These types of injuries can cause partial or complete paralysis and can have a significant impact on a person’s quality of life both physically and emotionally.
Recover From a Motorcycle Accident at Impact Medical
If you’ve been involved in a motorcycle accident, it’s essential to seek medical attention immediately. Even if you feel fine after an accident, it’s still essential to get a comprehensive medical evaluation, including scans of your internal organs, to ensure no damage has occurred. The medical team at Impact Medical Group of Brandon is standing by to help. Call us today at (813) 522-8885 to get your free medical evaluation.